Banner Health, Joshua Brackett
Welcome to The Burn, Beyond Fire Stop. Our show is dedicated to life safety and code compliance in the built environment, which puts me on a mission to find the most interesting people in this space to get their unique perspective. Our hope is that our listening audience walks away with an understanding of how our guests and their businesses and organizations contribute to the promotion of life safety of whatever is being built. Our show is brought to you by Specified Technologies, Inc. Also known as STI Fire Stop. And since 1990 STI has been a leading global provider of innovative fire protective solutions that help stop the spread of fire, smoke and hot gases.
Today’s guest is Josh Brackett, a self proclaimed “Fire Geek”, Josh is a licensed Fire Protection Engineer (PE) Senior Status as ASHE (SASHE) and Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM) with specialized expertise in life safety compliance and energy management.
- Josh’s Background
- Majored in Fire Protection and Safety Engineering Technology at Oklahoma State University
- Member of the Fire Protection Society
- Wanted to be a Firefighter his whole life, grow into Fire Marshall or Chief role.
- Was told he was over-qualified to be a firefighter. Took a job with an engineering firm. Worked in healthcare engineering. Working with fire protection for hospitals.
- Applying skills to the healthcare industry
- Took over for electrical engineers and handled automatic sprinkler side and fire alarm side.
- Led to building a business plan that got him the role as National Director of Business Development
- Baptist Health contacted him to be their head of Life Safety
- System Regulatory Director at Banner Health
- Provides direction for codes and compliance program
- Networking plays a big role. Open communication leads to bringing everyone to the table for change.
- Legacy FM
- Founded on premise of Legacy Project (how do you leave behind your legacy, how are we transferring knowledge to replace the technicians leaving the business)
- Training and education company. From onboarding to continuing education
- Developing Code-Compliant Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety Inspection, Testing and Maintenance Programs
- 100 percent of the prophets go to ASHE
- Got group together, wonderful authors and experts in the industry, to write book over 2 years.
- Teaching at ASHE
- CHFM, CHC, Energy to care program, Working in healthcare, etc.
- Fire in a healthcare facility
- Have not had a major incident in a hospital in a long time.
- Codes and procedures written because patients are unable defend themselves.
- Data and scientific evidence available now drives changes in codes
I have been very blessed over my career to be surrounded by leaders in the healthcare industry. Each of which took me under their wings and mentored me.
I began my career at a national healthcare engineering firm as a fire sprinkler designer and quickly added on fire alarm and other low voltage work. A few years one of the executives saw something in me and gave me an opportunity to lead business development for the company.
While in business development I learned how to work with clients to figure out what their needs and how to stay on top of hot topics in the industry and work with our team to formulate solutions.
I left the company and joined a regional fire alarm/sprinkler/security contracting company. I was hired on to lead business development, marketing, and sales. The most important lesson I learned was that there were large gaps between design to construction to operations to maintenance.
I was then very blessed to be brought into Baptist Health. I oversee Joint Commission compliance, energy management, construction policies and procedures, and several other areas as needed. I love the diversity the job brings and the opportunity to soak up knowledge from our team.
In addition to my current job at Baptist, Lindsey and I co-founded Legacy FM, LLC. Legacy FM was founded on the concept of The Legacy Project. The project, a long-term work in progress, aims to close the technical gap between those exiting the industry and those just entering into it.
I am a licensed Fire Protection Engineer (PE) Senior Status as ASHE (SASHE) and Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM) with specialized expertise in life safety compliance and energy management.
I can find a bright-side to any scenario and believe that a genuine smile is the most simple form of kindness you can show others. Do everything to the best of your ability, promote others above yourself and simply show others you care and the world will just be a little better.
About Banner Health
Headquartered in Arizona, Banner Health is one of the largest nonprofit health care systems in the country. The system owns and operates 28 acute-care hospitals, Banner Health Network, Banner – University Medicine, academic and employed physician groups, long-term care centers, outpatient surgery centers and an array of other services; including Banner Urgent Care, family clinics, home care and hospice services, pharmacies and a nursing registry. Banner Health is in six states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Nebraska, Nevada and Wyoming.
About Legacy FM
As Co-Founder of Legacy FM, LLC, I constantly find myself tapping into my network to establish and nurture strong relationships with facilities management professionals and key stakeholders within industry organizations. As a code and data junkie (and Facilities Engineer), I research best practices and innovative concepts in engineering, facilities management, and construction so I can effectively govern all technical aspects of training content, especially those related to engineering, codes, and life safety. I also create and deliver customized education and training content to satisfy individual and team professional development plans. Finally, I occasionally side hustle as the Chief Operating Officer for Legacy FM.
Legacy FM was founded on the concept of The Legacy Project. The project, a long-term work in progress, aims to close the technical gap between those exiting the industry and those just entering into it. Very few training avenues exist that support young professionals interested in facilities management, and our dream is to breathe new life into this profession and equip novice facility managers with the tools and knowledge they need to be successful in their careers.
Our mission is simple: to empower the men and women that keep our buildings running. We accomplish this mission by harnessing the knowledge and expertise of seasoned facilities management professionals, then creating meaningful content with this information, and finally sharing this content with those up and coming in the facilities management field
Legacy FM offers professional development training in all aspects of facilities management including relevant codes and standards, life safety, design and construction, best maintenance practices, sustainability, finance, budgeting, strategic planning, and more. We strive to resonate value from the boiler room to the board room and everything in between, but our focus never waivers from facilities management because that’s our true passion
Developing Code-Compliant Integrated Fire Protection and Life Safety Inspection, Testing and Maintenance Programs
About STI Firestop
Since 1990 Specified Technologies, Inc. (STI) is a global leader in the firestopping industry. The company manufactures a wide array of products and technologies to provide passive fire protection. Headquartered in Somerville, NJ, STI has sales offices all over the globe. STI Marine is a Division of STI that specializes in marine fire protection in the cruise line, offshore oil and gas, and general maritime industry. STI Marine’s product line consists of a full range of products used for penetration seals and cable transits in fire-rated bulkheads and decks, including water-tight firestop sealants, firestop collars for plastic piping, and an innovative cable transit device. All products comply with the IMO FTP Code and are subject to various Type Approvals include MED, DNV GL, Lloyds Register, ABS, USCG, BV, RINA and more…