Mass Timber Construction
We have proven firestop systems and the products to meet the needs of this rapidly growing building segment.
Features and benefits for all Listings:
- 3-15/16 in (100mm) 3 ply systems for 1 and 2-hour applications
- Optional gypsum protection for 1 hour
- Optional gypsum protection for 2 hours with min 5-15/16 inch (132mm) floor or wall assemblies
- Optional floor toppings for floor applications
Firestopping for Mass Timber
Mass Timber, which includes Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) among other types, is a category of engineered wood quickly becoming the choice for architects due to its exceptional strength and stability and being a low-carbon alternative. Recent code changes have allowed for mass timber buildings up to 18 stories tall. STI has the 3rd party Certified Systems and products to keep your mass timber projects compliant.
The proliferation of mass timber construction provides many positives to our world. It utilizes biophilic design, which creates a sense of well-being by putting us in touch with nature by encompassing us with the beautiful richness wood surfaces provide. Building with mass timber also has sustainability benefits to the environment.
Where construction with concrete and steel adds carbon to the atmosphere, wood construction absorbs carbon reducing the overall carbon footprint, leaving increasing potential sustainability credits.
LCI Intumescent Firestop Sealant
SpecSeal LCI Firestop Sealant is a water-based intumescent sealant intended for a wide range of through-penetration and construction joint applications. SpecSeal LCI Sealant has excellent caulking properties making it easy to apply in vertical applications as well as overhead.Watch More Videos
Mass Timber Construction Firestop Applications
Changes to building codes have only reinforced the acceptance of this building material. When mass timber elements are qualified for fire-resistance rating purposes, the designer considers the expected char depth when considering load-bearing capability. Wood converted to char has no structural integrity, and the design load must support the uncompromised wood that remains after a prescribed fire duration.
- A-5 occupancies, which are for the purpose of viewing outdoor activities such as a grandstand or stadium the allowable stories are unlimited
- Surfaces of CLT required to be protected by fire-retardant treated wood, gypsum wallboard, or other approved non-combustible material.
- Some types of occupancies are not permitted, unless sprinklered. Primarily this is for H-1 (High hazard) and I-1 (Institutional for individuals requiring custodial care)Unlimited stories for A-5 occupancies as long as they’re sprinklered
- SpecSeal LCI Firestop Sealant is a water-based intumescent sealant intended for a wide range of through-penetration and construction joint applications.
- SpecSeal SSW Wrap Strips are available in a variety of sizes and types to tackle any combustible penetration. SSW Wrap Strips are available in 12 ft. rolls as well as individually pre-sized strips to minimize waste and speed up installation.
Tools & Resources
We’ve curated an extensive collection of tools and resources tailored to meet the specific needs of professionals in the industry. Our assortment focuses on functional tools and references for Firestop solutions, providing professionals with the knowledge, guidance, and tools necessary to ensure safety, compliance, and precision in their projects, ultimately enhancing the integrity of their construction work.
- Guided search for finding the right firestop system for your condition and building Firestop Submittals for submission to your AHJ
- Find firestop systems on your phone, tablet, or the web
- Streamlined firestop system submittal package
- Integrate user documents, company logos, and Engineering Judgements
Automatically find firestop systems from within AutoDesk® Revit®
Track fire life safety systems on your project via your tablet, phone, or web browser.
Find any and all LEED Credits associated with our firestop products in one place
The Firestop University gives you access to all of STI’s learning material and product tutorials.
Access Guide Specifications for products or solutions for common Firestop issues.
These powerful tools guarantee the right systems are selected for the fastest and most cost-effective installation for all your projects.
LCI Intumescent Firestop Sealant
SpecSeal LCI Firestop Sealant is a water-based intumescent sealant intended for a wide range of through-penetration and construction joint applications.
SpecSeal® LCI Intumescent Sealant
SpecSeal® LCI Sealant is a versatile and economical intumescent sealant that has excellent caulking properties as well as high build properties
SSW Intumescent Wrap Strips
SpecSeal SSW Wrap Strips are available in a variety of sizes and types to tackle any combustible penetration.
STI User Guide
The perfect brochure to use as a reference tool for any STI Product on the market.