The Life Safety Guy, Ruben Garcia
- Ruben’s Background
- Born and raised in Houston, Texas. Gained “Street Smarts” during his upbringing.
- Stumbled into Life Safety after getting a job with Johnson Control in the Fire Alarm industry.
- Learned code and developed his own Fire Alarm business.
- Came in as a maintenance technician at Texas Children’s Hospital.
- Developed a passion for Life Safety after expanded his knowledge base.
- Director of Facilities Management at Baylor St. Lukes Medical Center
- Manage day to day operations, capital projects, fire alarm testing, systems upgrades, etc.
- Barrier Management Programs
- Above Ceiling Permit Program
- Required to list UL System
- Host trainings with contractors
- Life Safety Podcast
- 3rd season coming soon
- Great marketing tool
- Sharing education by bringing in other industry professionals
- Staying up to date
- Went after all certifications pertaining to his field
- Currently working on formal education
- Constantly looking at the newest codes and standards
- Currently on the 2012 edition of the Life Safety Code
About STI Firestop
Since 1990 Specified Technologies, Inc. (STI) is a global leader in the firestopping industry. The company manufactures a wide array of products and technologies to provide passive fire protection. Headquartered in Somerville, NJ, STI has sales offices all over the globe. STI Marine is a Division of STI that specializes in marine fire protection in the cruise line, offshore oil and gas, and general maritime industry. STI Marine’s product line consists of a full range of products used for penetration seals and cable transits in fire-rated bulkheads and decks, including water-tight firestop sealants, firestop collars for plastic piping, and an innovative cable transit device. All products comply with the IMO FTP Code and are subject to various Type Approvals include MED, DNV GL, Lloyds Register, ABS, USCG, BV, RINA and more…