The Mackey Group, John Mackey
Welcome to The Burn, Beyond Fire Stop. Our show is dedicated to life safety and code compliance in the built environment, which puts me on a mission to find the most interesting people in this space to get their unique perspective. Our hope is that our listening audience walks away with an understanding of how our guests and their businesses and organizations contribute to the promotion of life safety of whatever is being built. Our show is brought to you by Specified Technologies, Inc. Also known as STI Fire Stop. And since 1990 STI has been a leading global provider of innovative fire protective solutions that help stop the spread of fire, smoke and hot gases.
Today’s guest is an innovative, collaborative, and forward-thinking industry leader with extensive experience building vision and driving financial results for growth-oriented organizations in Fire Protection & Life Safety, John Mackey.
- John ’s Background
- Navy Veteran, served in the Gulf War
- Grandfathers were WWII vets, one a Navy Pilot
- Served in Reserves for 5 years after active duty
- Used the GI Bill to attend College
- Worked at a local lumber yard after school
- Transitioned into HR
- Found his way to Tyco, where passion for Fire Protection & Life Safety grew
- From Manufacturing to Users
- Got into the field, traveled with sales team and met his customers
- Left Tyco and went to work for his largest customer, Hiller
- Technology was growing, used Tech to support growth
- Started a Consulting Company
- Recognized that there are companies who don’t understand dynamics of acquiring businesses and what the customer expects
- Wanted to educate on how the market is structured
- Helped with the integration process
- Create an environment where they aren’t skipping a beat with the customer
- The Mackey Group
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Helping clients understand Market Dynamics
- Keeps pulse on what’s going on in all aspects of Fire Protection
- Build strategies for clients success
- Helping clients understand emerging technologies
- Attended Executive Retreat for NAFED
- Focused on company owners and leaders
- Preparing for Transition in the Fire and Life Safety Business
- Wrote blog about how to get better in this business.
- First focus is on Fire
I am an innovative, collaborative, and forward-thinking industry leader with extensive experience building vision and driving financial results for growth-oriented organizations in Fire Protection & Life Safety. I have robust strategic, operational, and relationship building acumen that facilitates competitive advantages and new partnerships. I’m known for strong integrity, influence, credibility, and a proactive communication style that cultivates consensus within diverse groups. Additionally, I’m a valued coach and mentor who effectively prepares next-generation leaders to capitalize on emerging opportunities and to leverage an entrepreneurial mindset.
During my career, I have:
- Served as a member of multiple industry Boards and Councils.
- Established policy-based governance systems for major players in the Fire Protection industry.
- Partnered with numerous CEOs and Boards to provide mission-based and executive-level strategic leadership.
- Been a trusted advisor to PE, Investment and Research firms.
My colleagues commend my business knowledge, customer-focus, leadership skills, and ability to work through challenges to achieve goals. I’m best known for spotting key opportunities, partnering with stakeholders to generate optimal results and acting as a positive ambassador for the organization.
About The Mackey Group
As the founder of this consultancy company, I have established and adapted company vision, direction, growth planning, and service offerings to ensure an optimal experience for my clients. I cultivate strong industry relationships and represent The Mackey Group to both stakeholders and clients. I serve as a Trusted Advisor to Private Equity, Investment, and Research firms ranging from $1MM to $250MM in annual revenue. I also partner with clients to develop sustainable M&A strategies and integration practices, to explore and evaluate technology options, and to guide business owners through valuation, benchmarking, and transition activities.
Most notably, I have:
- Aided a multi-entity company to achieve aggressive growth goals through acquisitions. I’ve engaged with CEOs, senior executives, and boards to build relationships, garner trust, and discuss M&A opportunities. Additionally, I’ve developed and executed influential, differentiated outreach campaigns that have secured multiple acquisition targets.
About STI Firestop
Since 1990 Specified Technologies, Inc. (STI) is a global leader in the firestopping industry. The company manufactures a wide array of products and technologies to provide passive fire protection. Headquartered in Somerville, NJ, STI has sales offices all over the globe. STI Marine is a Division of STI that specializes in marine fire protection in the cruise line, offshore oil and gas, and general maritime industry. STI Marine’s product line consists of a full range of products used for penetration seals and cable transits in fire-rated bulkheads and decks, including water-tight firestop sealants, firestop collars for plastic piping, and an innovative cable transit device. All products comply with the IMO FTP Code and are subject to various Type Approvals include MED, DNV GL, Lloyds Register, ABS, USCG, BV, RINA and more…