Welcome to The Burn, Beyond Fire Stop. Our show is dedicated to life safety and code compliance in the built environment, which puts me on a mission to find the most interesting people in this space to get their unique perspective. Our hope is that our listening audience walks away with an understanding of how our guests and their businesses and organizations contribute to the promotion of life safety of whatever is being built. Our show is brought to you by Specified Technologies, Inc. Also known as STI Fire Stop. And since 1990 STI has been a leading global provider of innovative fire protective solutions that help stop the spread of fire, smoke and hot gases.
Today’s guest has more than 15 years of experience in fire protection, life safety and code compliance. Aaron Johnson is an independent consultant and Chief Fire Strategists specializing in innovative fire protection solutions for emerging technologies.
- Aarons ’s Background
- Father was a preacher and went to Bible School for a year and a half.
- Coaching with Upward Sports.
- Serves with Our Community Table, distributing food to those in need.
- Wanted to get into the Fire Department, went to school to become an EMT
- Transitioned from EMT into Fire Service.
- Hired in Aircraft rescue.
- Became municipal fire inspector.
- Consulting Practice
- Starting Blogging about his fire inspection.
- Consulted on Fire Code compliance in the built environment, fire-stopping, etc.
- Commercial vs Aviation Fire Protection
- Fire prevention approaches are different.
- Risks are different in the community vs aviation.
- Different codes for municipal inspector vs aircrafts.
- Specific training is needed.
- Standard for Heliports
- On a task group called Verti Ports task group
- Several manufacturers making electric powered aircraft for urban air mobility
- Writing the Fire Protection standards for these heliports.
- Published 6 Books
- Latest book is Being Chief – leadership principles for the ARFF Professional
- Interviewed Chiefs and leaders in the industry.
- Books can be found at www.AaronJ.org
- Full time consulting
- Focused on innovative fire protection solutions for emerging technology
- New tech needs new solutions
- Traditional products that are used in new ways need new codes or standards
I specialize in fire code consulting, research, and development. I add value to the fire protection and building construction industries through code related consulting and advocacy, by participating in the code and standard writing and development process, and by providing technical and copy writing services to these industries.
For a complete portfolio of article, resources, and work visit, www.AaronJ.org
About STI Firestop
Since 1990 Specified Technologies, Inc. (STI) is a global leader in the firestopping industry. The company manufactures a wide array of products and technologies to provide passive fire protection. Headquartered in Somerville, NJ, STI has sales offices all over the globe. STI Marine is a Division of STI that specializes in marine fire protection in the cruise line, offshore oil and gas, and general maritime industry. STI Marine’s product line consists of a full range of products used for penetration seals and cable transits in fire-rated bulkheads and decks, including water-tight firestop sealants, firestop collars for plastic piping, and an innovative cable transit device. All products comply with the IMO FTP Code and are subject to various Type Approvals include MED, DNV GL, Lloyds Register, ABS, USCG, BV, RINA and more…